Saturday, December 18, 2004

The Daily Grill Long Beach


© Copyright 2004 Mojoey

Kristen Stratton is the Manager at the new Daily Grill in Long Beach. I met her on a rainy day while studying at Pepperdine’s World Trade Center campus in Long Beach. The World Trade Center is a dead place on a Saturday; the Daily Grill had just opened for business. It was completely empty. Kristen was gracious and offered a shortened lunch menu instead of their full menu. I had the tuna sandwich; it was good, but quite expensive.

A few days later, I was back. This trip was to sample their bar. They offered an O.K. selection of beers, I wanted a Guinness, but settled for several Newcastle’s ($4.75 each). Their scotch list is weak, I had a Glenfiddich ($7), they insisted on serving in it a cognac class. I chalked it up to inexperience.

Their menu looks mundane, it’s kind of upscale classic Americana, but it is too pricey. I think they might be targeting the Hilton Hotel business traveler market, I don’t think normal diners are going to go out of their way to eat there. The restaurants location is going to work against it. The area they are in has no foot traffic, little car traffic, and is deserted after 5 p.m. My guess is they will be out of business within a year at this location.

On the other hand, Kristen is very nice. I hope she does well…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.