Sunday, January 23, 2005

A day in the park



My family went to the park today. It was sunny and hot, I figure about 75 degrees. I took my dog Thor and went walking among the trees while my wife and son skated the parameter. As you can see from the picture, we are deep into winter here in Southern California. Everything is green. If it were summer, this picture would be brown. The park is empty because today is the NFC and AFC championship games. I counted less than 50 people in the park today; there would normally be hundreds, if not thousands, of picnickers.



These seedpods were falling from a dozen trees. It made walking a little painful. I shot a couple pictures of these, but only this one comes close to capturing the feel of the day. I played with the depth of field some, but did not like the results.



The park was full of Snowy Egrets. I counted 35 within a hundred yard section of the river. I could not get too close because my dog would scare them away. What you don’t see in this picture is my little minpin jumping in the air trying to catch a bird that is three times his size.