Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Sureal Life

It has been a weird day. I am camping with my family again, this time close to home at Lake Perris. We are new to the RV thing, so it’s a bit of a challenge that I’ve managed to screw up in small ways. This time I parked too close to a tree and did not get to use our awning, I’m also too far away from the gray water drain (it would help if I brought the gray water hose!). it's all rock n roll though, so no worries.

What are the weird things you ask? Well… I got lost last night, and I never ever get lost. I left the lake to get some supplies, only to find the entrance closed when I returned. Try as I might, I could not find the second entrance because the city of Moreno Valley had changed all the road names, and had removed all the State Park signs. The only roads with signs sent me on long rides to the scary parts of town. I finally followed a homeless family, living in their dilapidated 30 year old RV. They were on their way to the Lake to squat on a campsight after hours for free (I know this because they parked within sight of me and I watched them get evicted in the morning). So, a fifteen minute trip turned into two hours of frustration.

When I finally settled in for the night, I was serenaded by the sounds of competing country bands coming from the dozen or so look alike RV/4x4/jet boat owning skinhead & goatee wearing rednecks who had parked around me. I was in trailer park hell… it went on till 2 in the morning.

Today I woke early; it was peaceful and quiet… for about an hour. At about 8:00 a.m. I watched as an Indian family pitched a tent as big as my house, and then filled it with a TV, a stereo, and furniture, all new and right out of the box. They promptly started playing bollywood movies and music… all freeken day! I walked by their tent this evening on the way to the head, they were dancing.

All day long a strange blond girl has been running laps while talking to herself. She is about 12 and might be special, she barked when I said hi.

A fat lady in the campsite behind me spent the day writing songs, which she’s been singing, while drunk, most of the evening.

A squirrel jumped from the roof of the public restroom into the stall next to mine. It scared the shit out of me.

And to top it all off, a band off hookah smoking teenagers are riding around (high) on their mountain bikes singing obscure Sublime songs at the top of their lungs.

Oh, I spent the day studying and writing papers. Fun, but a tad on the surreal side.

2 comments:

Johnny C said...

very odd... I mean it almost sounds like a hollywood spoof movie.. very weird indeed.

Candy Girl said...

You're quite the observer Mojoey. Maybe you were just mad because you had homework and everyone else was having their brand of fun.