Friday, January 27, 2006

Art or not - you be the judge


I saw this painting on display at a UOP campus in Tempe Arizona a few days ago. I was attending an ISO 27001 implementation seminar (translated as “an exceedingly boring IT security training”). During breaks, I would stroll the art festooned walls of the UOP Tempe campus. I was trying to figure out if the art on display was commissioned by real artists, or submitted by student. The campus had about 50 works of art on display, with most in the amateur to talented amateur category. This painting was stationed near the men’s room, so I saw a lot of it during my time at the campus.

My gut reaction – I hate it.

It reminded me of the ongoing Christian struggle to link their faith to our National heritage and our Nation’s future. This is of course, a struggle that I appose. In fact, it is a struggle that I find abhorrent. I wanted to tear the painting down and burn it. I thought to myself, “It could not possibly be art”. Of course, I was wrong. Even thought I classified the painting as the work of a talented amateur, the painting is art. It evoked a real emotive response in me, it made me think, it made me angry, but, in the end, it made me happy. I was 400 miles from my home, lonely, and attending a seminar with my restless mind on full overdrive – I would normally waste my extra mental energy trying to solve some puzzle or problem, but, this week I spent my extra mental buzz on art criticism.

I would appreciate comments on this painting. I would like to hear what you think.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Charly said...

That is one piece of crap.

Were you at Tempe? That's were I live. You should visit the ASU museum, it's pretty good. Unlike that kindergarden painting.

Daydreamer of Oz said...

I agree with Charly, it's horrid!

Mojoey said...

Yep, I was in beautiful Tempe for a whole week. I stayed at the Candlewood Suites off Baseline. The hotel absolutely blew.

Kindergarden painting! This is a great way of describing it and the other paintings, photographs, and mixed media pieces on display. I wondered what they were thinking “let’s put some crap up to cover the beige walls” or something. The sad thing is, I’m willing to bet that these kindergarten artists parade their parents and friends though the UOP gallery on a regular basis. Some of the art even have price tags – as if they would sell.

I’ll make sure and check out the ASU museum the next time I’m in town. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Godawful! Impoverished. Is that a starving child? A POW?