Sunday, October 22, 2006

Born Again by Kelly Kerney

I do not often read works of fiction about 14-year-old girls coming of age. In fact, before Born Again, I have never do so. I picked up the book on accident. It looked like a nonfiction work about fundamentalism, so I snagged it while standing on line. When I noticed the book was about Mel, a 14-year-old fundamentalist, who is struggling with her faith, I nearly returned to the book. My wife made of me. I felt like a dirty old man for even reading the first chapter. I was wrong. Born Again hooked me in a way that only happens when I encounter great fiction. I read it slowly. I did not want it to end.

Born Again is Kelly Kerney's first novel. Kerney was raised in a Pentecostal church. She manages to construct a rich world of conflict, open lies, and conformism that binds poor Mel to her faith. I identified heavily with Mel. A few her stories could have come from my own childhood. A short synopsis follows:

What happens when a Bible Quiz Champion takes on Darwin? Mel, a faith-filled Pentecostal, has the chance to escape Slow Rapids, Indiana, by attending academic summer camp. The only catch? She has to read forbidden tomes like The Origin of Species . So she forges the permission slip, promising God she’ll bring him a lost soul in exchange.

Mel conscientiously uses her Biblical expertise to argue Darwin’s theories, but meanwhile begins to realize that her parents, her pastor, and her church aren’t what she thought. She zealously battles demons every day—lascivious heathens at school, the Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog, her backsliding brother and sister. But now, suddenly, she must also conquer the doubts of her own heart.

Source: Harcourt - Born Again by Kelly Kerney

The conflict between blind faith and reason carries the novel. Watching Mel navigate Darwin while rationalizing her sinful behavior seemes genuine. Her struggle lent authenticity in a way that helps the reader realize that this story could be true and could be repeated by children all over the country.

I recommend Born Again to anyone who is interested in the social paradox of fundamentalism. The novel delivers a meaningfully look at the mind set of true believers, their motivations, and the intractability of their faith. Plus - it's funny.  Read it and enjoy.