Saturday, November 18, 2006

And Tango Makes Three

Some "concerned parents" are concerned that a book might influence their children to become gay.

A picture book about two male penguins raising a baby penguin is getting a chilly reception among some parents who worry about the book's availability to children — and the reluctance of school administrators to restrict access to it.

The concerns are the latest involving "And Tango Makes Three," the illustrated children's book based on a true story of two male penguins in New York City's Central Park Zoo that adopted a fertilized egg and raised the chick as their own.

Source: Gay penguin book shakes up Ill. school - Yahoo! News

"Concerned Parents" - I'm willing to be they are fundies, or evangelicals, or the new breed of super fundievangelicals.  Either way, I smell a rat.

And what is the books overtly gay content?

...intrusions from the zookeeper, who remarks that the nuzzling males "must be in love," strike the narrative's only false note.

Start the bonfires! Ring the town bell. This book is an obviously attempt to subvert our youth - or not. I'm going to rush out and buy a few copies for the grandchildren I don't have yet.

 

4 comments:

Lexcen said...

Have you heard about the Norwegian gay animal museum?

beepbeepitsme said...

It's an abomination, I tell ye!. Those penquins will be frying hell.

Mojoey said...

lex - no kidding? I've got to look that one up/

C. L. Hanson said...

Gay penguins adopting an egg?

So cute!!! I have to get this book for my kids -- they love penguins!!! :D