Saturday, December 23, 2006

An Atheist Can Believe in Christmas

A message for those Christians who stalk me at this time of the year. Yes - I celibate Christmas. So do many other Atheists, some prominent, and some just like your average blogger.

Harris:

In other words, he is a having a (relatively) holly, jolly atheistic Christmas, one that will include presents and a big family party. And Mr. Harris, who was raised by a Jewish mother and a Quaker father, sees no glaring contradiction in doing so, at least not one he feels the need to spend much time thinking about.

Dawkins:

“Presumably your reason for asking me is that ‘The God Delusion’ is an atheistic book, and you still think of Christmas as a religious festival,” Mr. Dawkins wrote, in a reply printed here in its entirety. “But of course it has long since ceased to be a religious festival. I participate for family reasons...

Source: An Atheist Can Believe in Christmas - New York Times

Christmas has long sense passed from a religious to a secular. There is no contradiction in celebrating with family and friends, some of whom go to midnight mass, while others read a good book. I find the Christmas experience deeply enriching. I don't like the shopping and pressure to "gift" appropriately. I tend to give books and music of moderate value. and value the same in return. So... for those of you how insist on writing me the "hypocrite" letters - get a life, I'm too busy enjoying the holidays to write you back.

 

Technorati tags: ,