Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Iranian Censorship

Via Digg and J|Turn,the weblog of Jonathan Lundqvist, an interesting story about censorship in Iran. It seems Iranian's are obsessed with the naughty bits.

I brought some magazines with me when I went back to Sweden from Iran. The thing was that I was very surprised to begin with when I found copies of The Economist in the window of a newsstand near the Tehran University in Enqelab Square.

censored magazine coverSince hotel rooms are boring, I picked up a couple of magazines – they even carried older issues. Went back and started reading. It was not until the second time I saw one of the black slabs of ink that I realized that the magazines were indeed censored! This sparked my interest, and I went back several times in the following days, and basically cleared out the store of foreign magazines. (It turned out that the shop owner had some uncensored issues of fashion magazines under the counter - which he very subtly offered me to purchase - and when I said that I’d rather buy the censored ones his jaw fell to the floor.)

Read it all: j|turn » More pictures of Iranian Censorship

 

Technorati tags: ,