Thursday, March 15, 2007

AG Gonzales troubles my thoughts

Since the mass dismissal of eight federal prosecutors hit the press, I've been troubled by thoughts that take me back to the Communist Russia. I remember reading about the communist party and their insane insistence on loyalty at the expense of truth, and their maniacal adherence to the party line. I keep thinking that our situation with Bush and Gonzales is close to what to what was the norm in communist Russia. Truth does not matter, only perception of truth, spin, ideology, and loyalty matter. The results were just as tragic then as they are today. Alberto Gonzales lied - the AGs were fired for blatantly political reasons. At one point, Gonzales and Harriet Miers were even considering a mass firing all AGs in the name of ideological purity. Stalin would be proud.

I listened to Ted Koppel's Bush's White House, Built on Partisanship? yesterday on All Things Considered. Koppel's editorial echoes my thinking. Bush's insistence on loyalty at expense of competence, and ideology at the expense of truth, is troubling. Koppel uses the film The lives of others, and the book, Imperial Life in the Emerald City to illustrate his point. There should be certain limits. I agree.

As a citizen of the United States of America, I hereby request the resignation of Alberto Gonzales.