Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Blogroll Update: New Members

Our blogroll community has increased by five members. Please take a  minute to welcome our newest members.

1. Confessions of an Anonymous Coward - a very entertaining blog. Check out Mormon Missionary Methods for an intro.

2. A Whore in the Temple of Reason - blew me away. Metal Masturbation was interesting. I had never heard the term "Southern romance" before. It made me smile.

3. The Science Ethicist joined today -  Pay no attention to his formatting problems. I am sure he is working out the bugs (just like I am).

4. Migrations - a wordpress blog, is outstanding and should appeal to the science geek in all of us. Evolutionary Medicine and Cancer is a good representative post.

5.Dr. Joan Bushwell's Chimpanzee Refugee is a team based Science blog. Read We dare you to read it with the Notbelly Laughs. I found this post particularly interesting as I am heading off to China for work starting in May. My last trip was filled with stuff like this.

A plea for help: Please pass along dead links when you find them. I removed 17 dead blogs last week. Finding them was tedious process. I can use all the help I can get. Also - if anybody knows how to display a blogroll in wordpress, please pass it along.

Technorati tags:

4 comments:

Aerik said...

I can use the plainest, simplest, lamest HTML and the w3.org validator gives me weird errors no matter what doctype I use.

Apparently, the body isn't allowed anywhere I put it, especially if it's nested correctly.

html
head
style
/style
/head
body
/body
/html

I think it's Blogger. And I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with that comments link. It always displays it's [href], never what it's supposed to. I don't even have any CSS applying to it.

That you had to point it out has convinced me to just take my links and CSS and start from scratch. I think I'll try a 2-sidebar format.

Mojoey said...

Sorry man - I did not mean to put any undo pressure on you.

Aerik said...

It's alright. It's actually been bugging the heck out of me for a long time.

I edit my template in an external editor and have it saved as an .html file, so I went to blogger and chose the same template I had before and went to see what I accidentally mangled.

It seems the code is a bit different for the elements whose content is automatically filled with my API.

Things like <$BlogBacklinkAuthor$> have changed to <$I18NPostedByBacklinkAuthor$> ... I'm guessing since the update from Blogger Beta to "New Blogger." -- it may be the source of my problems.

I've posted my sidebar links, meta, and most of the CSS from my original template file to the new one, and I think I fixed that problem. Only know the sidebar looks funky in Firefox but not in IE (it used to be the other way around! What the F?). I can fix it if I apply : * { padding: 0 0 0 0; } but that's cheating, and funks with other things which had padding applied, and I didn't have to do it before.

Aerik said...

HAZZAH!

I've done it. I've fixed my template. Now the # of comments link doesn't display it's on href and works like it's supposed to. Now the sidebar looks perfect in Firefox or Opera, there were some border colorings that used to not work in IE but do now, and I decided to enlarge the font and line heights so people could read it better.