Tuesday, June 12, 2007

7 of 100

As I near my 2000th post, I wondered, what is my most popular post? To my surprise, it is a June 24th, 2006 post titled James Dobson on interracial marriage. Visitors use the search terms "interracial problems" or "Interracial marriage" in Google or Yahoo to find the post. Fully 7 out of every 100 hits comes from this post. I'm not kidding - day in day out - 7 of 100 every day. It is matched only by a Barry Bonds post which can generate a thousand hits in a single day depending on Bonds's behavior.

I wrote the Interracial marriage post because Dobson's position offends me. Nothing has changed. I am still offended. His remarks remind me too much of my grandparents asking me if I were sure I wanted to marry a colored girl. They were concerned about what our children would look like (they are beautiful btw). My grandparents are long dead - and I've been married to my lovely Filipino wife for 27 years. Our early years did not face the same problems as black/white couples. However, we encountered our own flavor of bigotry and racism. We still do today, although it is rare.

My wife warmed my heart with a e-mail link to NPR's Loving Decision: 40 years of Legal Interracial Unions on Monday.

This week marks the 40th anniversary of a seminal moment in the civil rights movement: the legalization of interracial marriage. But the couple at the heart of the landmark Supreme Court case of Loving v. Virginia never intended to be in the spotlight.

We've come a long way in 40 years. Thank you Richard and Mildred Loving. My family deeply appreciates your sacrifice.

Technorati tags: , ,

9 comments:

tina FCD said...

I congratulate you on 27 years of marriage!

I am white and had a white boyfriend in 5th and 6th grade, but a black girl liked him also and tried to beat me up all the time. My mom called her mom and boy did she get into trouble. They sure didn't like her liking a white boy.


I remember having to sneak around during my early teen years to date black guys. What a time that was. It was the late 60's and very early 70's. I had trouble hiding it from my mom and from other black students in school. It was a time of race riots in high school.

I could care less what color of someone's skin is when it comes to my children dating or marrying. As long as they are treated good.

Mojoey said...

Tina - it is all about love.

Anonymous said...

Yes, your children are beautiful...

Psychodiva said...

Yaay! another 27 year marriage- I was beginning to think we were the only ones lol- congrats - I'll bet yours is much the same as mine - love, respect and understanding in those small moments when they P*** the heck out of you lol

Johnny C said...

Congrats on a wonderful marriage and on being apart of change that is needed in America.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
The racism of the bible and those fundie believers is mind numbing. We who understand evolution realize that skin color, nare and eye traits are products of geographic/climate conditioning over centuries. At one time ALL of our ancesters had dark skin (The Afar Triangle was right off the equator).
Adam and Eve as white and blonde? (Just as funny as Jesus looking Italian or Germanic).

Most fundie family gene pools tend to be rather stagnant and they're damned proud of it. (nowt hat I think about it, English Royals tend to interbreed too. generations of overbites and huge ears not to mention proferia and hemophilia).
DIversity helps keep the genepools deep and healthy.

Johnny C said...

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/636/051607falwelldiesma1.gif

Hope you like it

Mojoey said...

Johnny - where do you find this stuff? I should post it on my front page. It is so funny.

Johnny C said...

Actually my fiance usually sends them to me. She uses the Mozilla add-0n Stumble Upon. It is a pretty cool and addicting thing. You can set up them paramiters that you want to stumble. I.e. pictures, movies, webpages, all. Then you can check off what your interested in, like politics, religion, athiesm, jokes.. and stuff like that.

Otherwise I have a lot of athiest/agnostic friends on myspace and we pass this stuff around. I'll send more when I get them.