Sunday, March 02, 2008

Blogroll Update: Mississippi Atheists

My favorite atheist blogger vjack of Atheist Revolution has started a new blog - Mississippi Atheist. His first post is reprinted below:

Living as an atheist in Mississippi can be a lonely experience. Evangelical Christianity is pervasive here, and one can expect to encounter frequent proselytizing, anti-atheist bigotry, and even discrimination based on one's lack of belief in ancient superstition. Many atheist Mississippians conceal their feelings toward religion to prevent social ostracization or avoid punitive consequences.

The purpose of this new blog is to provide resources and support to Mississippi atheists. I am convinced that there are far more of us out there than we realize, and forming connections, even those over the web, can normalize one's experience and reduce feelings of isolation.If you are an atheist living in Mississippi, you are certainly not alone.

Shoot (spoken with a redneck inflection), I did not even know they had Atheists in Mississippi.

Please drop in and welcome vjack's newest effort.

1 comment:

vjack said...

Thanks, Mojoey! I don't expect the new blog to become huge or anything but I'll be happy if I can provide more of my fellow atheists in Mississippi with a voice. I really appreciate the PR and am proud to be a part of the Atheist Blogroll.