Friday, May 23, 2008

Israelis take out the trash

A few days ago the Christian press was full stories about Israelis burning bibles. The act even prompted an official apology from a deputy mayor. Now it seems some Israelis are arguing that the unsolicited bibles and evangelical pamphlets are in fact trash and should be burned like any other piece of garbage. 

The people who burned these books and pamphlets broke no law. Despite the allusions being made to the burning of Jewish holy books during the times of the inquisition or the holocaust, there is absolutely no comparison here. The New Testaments and evangelistic leaflets had been basically thrown out -- they were unsolicited garbage, and there is no law against incinerating garbage, even by religious Jews, even in public.

Source: israelinsider: Views: Harrassed by Christian missionaries, Israelis take out the trash

One man's trash is another man's holy book. By now everyone should understand this. If it is ok to burn the bible in Israel, then it is ok to shoot the Koran in Iraq. In this case, the Israelis are simply saying STOP trying to convert our citizens to your nutball religion.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

jen said...

Sorry, but if a Jehovah's Witness or a Scientologist comes up to me and hands me papers, those are now MY papers and I can do whatever I want with them. If they come to my house and offer me a Bible, it's now MY bible to do with as I wish. If they *keep* coming by my house and won't leave me alone until I give up and accept a bible I've told them I don't want, then I have EVERY right to burn it no matter what they feel about that. . . . YMMV, obviously.