Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Riding a Wave with Dustin Humphrey

Shoot The Blog has an interesting series of photos (NSFW) containing images of waves, surfers, and underwater scenes. I'm still trying to figure out how they were put together.

"Insight has launched an impressive art installation series entitled Dopamine, from setting up underwater art installations with surf actions shots in Bali and having re-created famous skate spots in the middle of the Balinese jungle.

The surf installation was inspired by Beatnick;, Steve Gorrow embarked on a journey beneath the sea to explore the depths of the mind and creativity. Along with the help of his brother, Steve shipped out to Bali to take on the massive feat of building above and beneath the sea to give birth to the latest Insight surf spectacle, and that is Dopamine...

Read More... Riding a Wave with Dustin Humphrey (NSFW)

Some of my very first experiments with photography involved surfing and surf photography. Out of thousands of photos I took, only one was good enough to use in my high school yearbook. By today's standards it's weak.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd bet a beer he used a device like a large box with a glass window and shot it with the camera inside it while the box was partially submerged.

I say this because if you look at the surface of the water (meniscus?) it curves far too much to represent the way it would against the lens of the camera.

This reminds me of a similar problem I encountered when I used to develop graphics engines for 3D games. When the player's viewpoint was only partially underwater, I was unable to apply the simple tinted blue fog to the entire scene as I used when it was fully submerged. (Early graphics cards until a few years ago were unable to quickly render fog except on a fullscreen basis, with simple linear or exponential falloff.)

I cheated in a way that many similar games did, by making it impossible for the camera to be other than fully in or out of the water.