Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reaching back in history for a payout

I am instantly skeptical of cases where men or women reach back into the 60s or 70s for tales of clergy sexual abuse. I think one reason is that I'm nearing 50 myself and think back to 1971 -72 through a fog of dim memories. I can remember where I lived and the names of my dogs (and sisters), but people are a blur, as are events. I remember things, but not enough to take to court. And proving abuse, or that I even played on Falcons baseball team… well, it don’t think it’s possible. So, it is hard for me to believe that a 40-year wait between an alleged crime and a memory is legitimate.

A John Doe is suing former pastor Jim Bourne for alleged sexual abuse that took place in 1971-72. Mr. Doe claims to have become aware of the abuse in 2007. Mr. Doe is afraid to use his real name. Please don’t tell me this is a case of recovered memories.

The incidents allegedly occurred “during functions in which Bourne had custody or control of the plaintiff in Bourne’s role as a pastor and authority figure.” The lawsuit’s claims include that the church provided training to Mr. Bourne; hired, supervised and paid assistants to Mr. Bourne; paid for trips and travel expenses incurred by Mr. Bourne; and empowered him to perform all duties of a pastor, including educational and tutorial services.

Don’t get me wrong, I detest these abuse pastors. They are blight on the human race. I am also a skeptic. After 40 years, what damage is there? How much is Mr. Doe fishing for? It simply feels wrong, or too late to be just. What do you think?

Technorati tags: