Saturday, March 07, 2009

Youth Pastor rapes 14-year-old girl

BenjaminCaldwell I wonder about the wording of my headlines sometimes. Youth Pastor and Christian athletic director Benjamin Douglas Caldwell has confessed to raping a 14-year-old relative repeatedly over a period of three months. That means I can say "Youth pastor rapes 14-year-old girl" and still be accurate, right?. Because, I'd hate to get the facts wrong or paint Caldwell as guilty when his innocence is still in question on the  6 counts of Statutory Rape, 3 counts of Statutory Sex Offense with a 14-year-old, and 8-Counts of Taking Indecent Liberties With a Minor.

Police say Caldwell also admitted he was the youth pastor of Hayworth Wesleyan Church and the Athletic Director of Hayworth Christian School. According to the church's pastor, David Emery, Caldwell has been dismissed from his duties. Emery also said the victim was not a student at the school or church.

His church wasted no time in firing him. I am sure they are worried that he might have abused children at the church or at the School. There will be a lot of uncomfortable interviews going on over the next few weeks. I hope the church had the foresight to put safeguards in place. They so rarely do though.

I predict 30 years in prison if convicted.