Friday, November 26, 2010

Photo a day – Thanksgiving

ShelbyThanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. What I am thankful for? I’m thankful for being part of a wonderful loving family. Be it my small family, or my wife's large extended Filipino family. I enjoy the time spend together over a good meal (or pie), or cake (I’m talking to you Imogen). This picture is my young cousin Shelby. She’s 16. I’ve known her since she was born. Per the Filipino custom I am Uncle Joe to her and too a whole bunch of other youngsters too. We spent an hour catching up on life. I only see her over the summer and on big holidays. She’s a good kid and she seemed genuinely interested in the sappy love story I told her from back when my wife and I first fell in love.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the Fourth of July – I love them all. Do people pray at these parties? Yes they do, they are Catholics (for the most part), and that is what they do. Does it bother me? No, not one bit. I come for the family, food, and conversations.