Friday, December 24, 2010

Christians can be good too

I catch a lot of flack from friends and family about the persistently negative tone of my blog. Most understand that I am on a mission and unlikely to stop holding abusive members of the clergy accountable for their misdeeds.It should be clear by now that I do not enjoy doing this. I struggle even reading the stories. Dealing with the backlash that comes from moy posts is another matter all together.

I recently committed to posting positive stories about Christians when they come to my attention. You can thank my lovely daughter-in-law for this idea. I think it makes sense too. My focus is hypocrites and not people who are trying to live a meaningful life. It comes down to my core philosophy of not judging people by what they believe, instead judge them by what they do. Take Rudy Favard for example. I judge him to be good.

Rudy is a star high school football player who gives a little of his time each night to carry an invalid child up a flight of stairs.

On Tuesday night, Patty and Rick Parker were in their cramped kitchen with their 8-year-old son Ben. Dinner was over. Bedtime was near.

Ben’s twin brother, Sammy, lay on a cot in the narrow hallway just outside the kitchen. Unable to see or speak or control his limbs, he coughed or let out a little moan every now and then. Rick and Patty took turns feeding Sammy, who has cerebral palsy, through a stomach tube. He cooed when they kissed his face or stroked his cheek, and when they cooed back, he opened his mouth into a wide, joyful O.

A few feet away was the narrow, winding stairway that is the family’s biggest burden lately.

Which is where 17-year-old Rudy’s simple, life-changing act of kindness comes in.

Until recently, Rick carried Sammy up those 14 stairs to his bedroom each night. But a few months ago, Rick had major surgery for a life-threatening heart condition, and now he can’t lift much at all, let alone a 75-pound child.

Read more….

It warms my heart. I hope it does the same for you. Rudy is acting in accordance with what he believes. Theses acts are powerful and positive examples of the good side of Christianity. It’s important for me to remember that there is a good side.

Technorati Tags: ,