Monday, December 27, 2010

I am free to drink, you should be too

I’m almost 50. By this time in my life I have little patience for those who would try to limit my lifestyle because of their own silly beliefs. I drink. I prefer scotch. I don’t drink much, but when I drink, I don’t want to be stopped by an arbitrary blue law. There is no difference between drinking on Sunday or drinking on Monday. Why do some Christian pastors seem to think there is?

Jerry Devinney stood before his mother's coffin and wept.

But the 21-year-old was not sure why he cried: His mother had left him when he was 3 months old. Alcohol was her ruin, he said.

His father was a "weekend" alcoholic, Devinney said, absent from most family activities.

And because pastor Devinney was personally touched by an alcohol related tragedy, it only makes sense to limit access to alcohol for everyone.

This is why Devinney, pastor at Oakdale Baptist in Rock Hill, will again stand and say "no" to efforts to extend the sales of any alcoholic spirits in York County.

Organizers of a petition drive hope to gather enough signatures to seek voter approval for Sunday sales of beer and wine in some York County stores in the November 2012 election.

Its Sunday drinking that kills. We should not be allowed to drink on Sundays. Yep, that will fix the problem. Why can’t this jackass just say that he thinks Sunday should be kept holy and without alcohol. Why does he have to wrap in a story of misery and death? Why can’t he be honest?

Technorati Tags: ,