Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pastor Hopkins convicted

Former pastor Creth Dean Hopkins was found guilty on three counts of child sexual abuse and one count of lewd molestation.Hopkins was arrested in 2010. I must have missed the story, but his case is typical.

Testimony was presented during the trial by the 22-year-old victim, who had gone to the police nearly two years ago. She told officers that Hopkins had repeatedly touched her inappropriately during encounters when she was between the ages of 13 and 16.

A recording was played for the jury of an interview with Hopkins by police and officials for the Department of Human Services. In it, Hopkins states: “I saw her as a precious thing. It sounds corny, but I wanted to honor her, to show her adoration, that I was pleased with her. I leaned forward and I kissed her, telling her how beautiful she was, how precious she was.”

Source: Pawhuska preacher convicted of molesting girl

Sick right? He faces 20 years in prison.

Hopkins was a blogger. He also founded Grace Community Church, which was not a church as much as it was a place for Hopkins to shop for victims of his “precious attention”.