Monday, December 23, 2013

I'm an incrementalist at heart

What Pope Francis is doing warms my cold heart. He's making small adjustments which nudge the Catholic Church in the right direction. His lasted move, ousting Cardinal Donald Wuerl from the Congregation for Bishops, moves away from conservatism towards... something less conservative. Every move in the right direction should be celebrated. Every move in the wrong direction should be criticized (I do that too). A few of my peers choose to criticize every move because they see the church as the enemy. I see the church as my enemy too, but even my enemy can do something right.

Small change is the right approach. Constant change is even better. I think Pope Francis is making a good go at reform, but I'm keeping my eye on the church. I know better then to let my guard down.